Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Beijing vs. Bloodsport

Dude, I have been a huge fan of the Olympics thus far, but last night the Versus network delivered exactly what I needed to see, the classic fight flick, Bloodsport. It was the perfect breakaway from the always glued to the tube action of the Olympics that was on a slight let down for me. When the greatest swimmer ever, Michael Phelps of course, locked down gold #8 my interest dropped an eency bit. So back to Jean-Claude van Damme at his best in Bloodsport.

I can remember when watching that movie had to be done when a buddie's parents weren't home. It was a well planned event that had to go down without a hitch. Just being able to say that you saw it made you an instant bad ass at school! Dude, what about that part where the guy was fighting monkey style? Oh, you forgot about that cool shit because of the part where he flashes back to being trained blindfolded by his Tanaka Shedoshi when he was young? That was some amazing shit back in the day. The incredible part was that back then I thought it could have actually happened, and then last night my realistic expectations came to life again when I saw the stats that rolled prior to the credits. I don't remember them from back in the day, but damn, 329 fights without a loss....Un-f'ing-real!!!

Even with the quintuple knuckle busting action on Versus I couldn't completely stay away from the action in Beijing. Quick Summary......Bolt is one bad motherf'er....P.E.R.I.O.D. He's the ocho cinco of Beijing, except that he backs up his talk. Women's beach volleyball, outfantabulofucking great too! The volleys between the US and Brazil last night were mind blowing. Not too mention the shock and awe of the tie in the women's gymnastics Gold medal for uneven bars. Did you get to see the female hurdler bust her ass? Classic pain baby!

So what was better last night, the surprisingly good for the 86th time Bloodsport or the Olympics? And oh yeah, Versus played Bloodsport consecutively so you could catch the parts you missed jumping back and forth the 1st time. Like the part where the big bad ass from USA called out Chong Li, geez what a moron. And don't forget about the little dude who swipes the gold tooth from the canvas and bites it to see if it's real.

One last thing....bonus hottie action - Leah Ayres who played Janice, JCVD's fling in Bloodsport. She was atop the list back then for me. Now she is known as Leah Kalish, a bad ass yoga instructor. I wonder how flexible she is?

No comments: